Indian Premier League (IPL) 2020 has been postponed to April 15 from March 29 due to coronavirus scare. The Board of Control of Cricket in India (BCCI) released a statement regarding postponement of IPL.
The statement reads that the decision to postpone IPL is taken as a precautionary measure as COVID-19 is now become a pandemic. But the statement should be read with the announcement that the Delhi government make about coronavirus. It said that that the government won’t allow any sporting activity in the capital due to health crisis.
The statement further reads that the board is sensitive towards public health and all its stakeholder. Also, it will take all necessary steps to ensure that all people including cricketers and fans remain safe from the virus. The board will work with all concerned ministries and authorities to contain the spread of COVID-19.
Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia made announcement
Manish Sisodia said that the gatherings of over 200 people at sporting events or conferences won’t be allowed until further notice. The restrictions on large gatherings were put for the purpose of prevention of COVID-19 epidemic. India has more than 70 coronavirus cases so far.