Today’s Google Doodle is dedicated to Dr. Muthulakshmi Reddi, a multifaceted personality involving in every sphere of life – healthcare, social, lawmaker and a rebel. Today is her 133rd birth anniversary and Google is celebrating her life with a Doodle.
Meet Dr. Muthulakshmi Reddi
Born in 1886 in Pudukottai, Tamil Nadu, Dr.Muthulakshmi Reddi was first in doing many things in India. Following are her achievements.
• First Indian girl student in the Department of Surgery at Madras College
• First woman doctor in India in 1912
• First woman house surgeon in the Government Maternity Hospital, Madras
• First woman member and vice president of the Madras Legislative Council
• Fought for social inequality and gender inequality
• Co-founded Women’s Indian Association in 1918
• Increased the minimum age for marriages for girls as a lawmaker
• Passing of Immoral Traffic Control Act and Devadasi system abolishment Bill
• Resigned from Council in support of Salt Satyagraha
• Established Avvai Home to shelter and educate girls in 1930
• Opened the Cancer Institute in Chennai in 1954
• Awarded with Padma Bhushan in 1956
The Google Doodle portrays Dr. Muthulakshmi Reddi in the attire of a lawmaker. She’s seen guiding women including young girls the way to liberate themselves from social and gender inequalities. Dr. MuthulakshmiReddi is wearing spectacles and holding a book in her right hand. Her left hand is raised towards the way to liberation. Created by Bangalore-based guest artist Archana Sreenivasan, the Doodle displays the life and objective of Dr. MuthulakshmiReddi.
The State Government of Tamil Nadu announced that the government hospitals in the state would celebrate the birth anniversary of Dr. Muthulakshmi Reddi as “Hospital Day” every year.
Dr. Muthulakshmi Reddi died on 22 July 1968 at the age of 81. At the time of her death, she’s an international figure inspiring many women to come forward for social causes.