Today’s Google Doodle is dedicated to Dr. Muthulakshmi Reddi, a multifaceted personality involving in every sphere of life – healthcare, social, lawmaker and a rebel. Today is her 133rd birth anniversary and Google is celebrating her life with a Doodle.
Meet Dr. Muthulakshmi Reddi
Born in 1886 in Pudukottai, Tamil Nadu, Dr.Muthulakshmi Reddi was first in doing many things in India. Following are her achievements.
• First Indian girl student in the Department of Surgery at Madras College
• First woman doctor in India in 1912
• First woman house surgeon in the Government Maternity Hospital, Madras
• First woman member and vice president of the Madras Legislative Council
• Fought for social inequality and gender inequality
• Co-founded Women’s Indian Association in 1918
• Increased the minimum age for marriages for girls as a lawmaker
• Passing of Immoral Traffic Control Act and Devadasi system abolishment Bill
• Resigned from Council in support of Salt Satyagraha
• Established Avvai Home to shelter and educate girls in 1930
• Opened the Cancer Institute in Chennai in 1954
• Awarded with Padma Bhushan in 1956
The Google Doodle portrays Dr. Muthulakshmi Reddi in the attire of a lawmaker. She’s seen guiding women including young girls the way to liberate themselves from social and gender inequalities. Dr. MuthulakshmiReddi is wearing spectacles and holding a book in her right hand. Her left hand is raised towards the way to liberation. Created by Bangalore-based guest artist Archana Sreenivasan, the Doodle displays the life and objective of Dr. MuthulakshmiReddi.
The State Government of Tamil Nadu announced that the government hospitals in … Read the rest