Today’s Google Doodle is dedicated to Dr. Muthulakshmi Reddi, a multifaceted personality involving in every sphere of life – healthcare, social, lawmaker and a rebel. Today is her 133rd birth anniversary and Google is celebrating her life with a Doodle.
Meet Dr. Muthulakshmi Reddi
Born in 1886 in Pudukottai, Tamil Nadu, Dr.Muthulakshmi Reddi was first in doing many things in India. Following are her achievements.
• First Indian girl student in the Department of Surgery at Madras College
• First woman doctor in India in 1912
• First woman house surgeon in the Government Maternity Hospital, Madras
• First woman member and vice president of the Madras Legislative Council
• Fought for social inequality and gender inequality
• Co-founded Women’s Indian Association in 1918
• Increased the minimum age for marriages for girls as a lawmaker
• Passing of Immoral Traffic Control Act and Devadasi system abolishment Bill
• Resigned from Council in support of Salt Satyagraha
• Established Avvai Home to shelter and educate girls in 1930
• Opened the Cancer Institute in Chennai … Read the rest