India celebrated the 71st Republic Day on 26th January with a grand parade on Rajpath. And it was a 90-minute display of military might, cultural diversity and socio-economic progress of the country. The chief guest of today’s parade was Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro. The ceremony started with PM Narendra Modi paying tribute to soldiers at the National War Memorial.
Republic Day 2020 highlights
• The armed forces of the nation and their armaments were at the centre-stage of the grand parade.
• A total of 16 marching contingents including National Cadet Corps and National Service Scheme took part in the parade.
• For the second consecutive year, a woman officer Captain Tania Sher Gill of the Corps of Signals led an all-male contingent.
• The 61st Cavalry, the only active horse cavalry regiment in the world also took part in the parade. Raised in 1953, the cavalry was in the uniform of the erstwhile Gwalior Lancers.
• The Air Force contingent had 144 air warriors with a tableau showcasing scaled-down models of newly-acquired fighter jet Rafael and indigenous Tejas aircraft and the Light Combat Helicopter … Read the rest