The International Cricket Council almost removed ODIs from the newly released the Future Tours Programme (FTP) for the cycle till 2022. The new FTP has limited the maximum number of ODIs in bilateral series to three but the number of T20s has been shot up.
Highlights of FTP
- Putting a cap over ODIs in bilateral series
- Some series won’t have ODIs over next three years
- Some series would have up to five T20s
- Revival of Test Cricket through World Test Championship
- Globalizing sports through T20s
Revival of ODIs
ICC has been aggressive in its approach to promote T20s but it says that the new format would help in globalizing the sport. Presently, ICC is putting little focus on ODIs but the popular format could see resurgence before the 2023 World Cup. Also, ICC has suggested a minimum number of games format to make a new qualification system. But ICC won’t interfere in bilateral series played between two countries.
Test Cricket and World Test Championship
Starting World Test Championship is a great idea but it is still at its nascent stage. But ICC is trying to … Read the rest