Who’s Taking Political Mileage Over Tandav Controversy?
The makers of Tandav, a political drama on Amazon Prime, issued an unconditional apology after complaints against the web series started pouring in different states notably Maharashtra and Uttar Pradesh where the CM office made a comment on the drama.
What is the controversy surrounding Tandav?
The web series insulted Hindu gods and goddesses in the first episode. 17 minutes into the episode, you can see college students making mockery of Hindu gods. It triggered an outrage across the country forcing makers of Tandav to apologize for the said act.
Important points of Tandav controversy
- Makers of Tandav issued an apology only after the I&B Ministry that supervises OTT content sought a response on the complaints from Amazon.
- Two complaints were filed against Tandav. One Ram Kadam filed a police complaint in Mumbai and a UP cop registered an FIR against the makers of Tandav in Lucknow.
- In UP, a key aide of CM Yogi Adityanath warned of consequences for ridiculing Hindu gods. Also, the CM’s media advisor, Shalabh Mani Tripathi, objected to showing police vehicles in the drama.
- In Mumbai, the police have to provide security to Amazon India office and the residence of Saif Ali Khan in the wake of protests and demonstrations against the series.
- Despite protests, JDU and SP are advising BJP to keep out of politics. JDU leader KC Tyagi said that political parties couldn’t regulate web content and SP chief Akhilesh Yadav said that BJP was doing tandav for Tandav.