JyotiradityaScindia resigned from Congress on Tuesday morning. The former Union Minister and four-time parliamentarian resigned shortly after meeting Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Union Home Minister Amit Shah in Delhi. Days after criticising BJP over violence in Delhi, he is expected to join BJP later this week and could be rewarded with a Rajya Sabha seat and a berth in the union cabinet.
Shortly after his exit, 21 Congress MLAs also put their resignation letters to the Governor. Some sources in Madhya Pradesh Raj Bhawan revealed that 25 MLAs were ready to resign.
Highlights of the big story
• On Holi, JyotiradityaScindia posted his letter of resignation on his Twitter account. The latter was dated March 9 and addressed to Congress chief Sonia Gandhi.
• Minutes later, Congress expelled the 49-year-old leader for “anti-party activities” but his supporters said that Gandhis didn’t reach out to him.
• Scindia only replied “Happy Holi” to the question of joining the BJP later this week.
• Meanwhile the BJP leadership including PM Modi, Amit Shah, party chief JP Nadda and Defence Minister Rajnath Singh met to choose candidates for March 26 Rajya Sabha elections.
• Once close to the Gandhi family, Scindia had reportedly been unhappy with Congress for some time.
• Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot said that Scindia betrayed the party.
• Former Madhya Pradesh CM Digvijay Singh hit out a “conspiracy” to topple the government.
• MLA Bisahu Lal, one of Congress MLAs who resigned from Congress, later joined the BJP in presence of Mr. Chouhan.