Spain missed the opportunity to qualify for Euro 2020 when it couldn’t save a crucial match with Norway. It was 1-1 draw in Oslo. The three-time champions Spain was relying much on this match because it was the only hope for qualifying for Euro 2020.
Highlights of the match
- Joshua King’s 94th minute penalty equaled the match with 1-1
- Spain’s aggressive football was visible in the first half of the match
- The home goalkeeper Rune Jarstein kept Mikel Oyarzabal’s ball out
Factors that affect Spain’s opportunities for Euro 2020
1. Romania failed to beat the Faroe Islands but it lost the match with 3-0 score. If it could, Spain would have qualified for Euro 2020.
2. In another match, Sweden thrashed Malta 4-0. If it would have otherwise, Spain would have benefitted from the match.
What’s next for Spain?
Spain has to defeat Sweden in Solna on Tuesday. It is very crucial match for Spain because losing the game would akin to losing the opportunity to qualify for Euro 2020. Spain has two matches in spare in addition to the Tuesday match.
Sweden with five points and three matches remaining is leading in Group F while Romania is only one point further back. Norway is also a strong contender for Euro 2020. It is four points behind Sweden but still there are matches to play with Romania, the Faroes and Malta.
What did Spain’s captain say?
Spain captain Sergio Ramos was in pain while describing the poor performance of his team in a crucial match. He recently broke Iker Casillas’ national appearance record with his 168th cap.