Lockdown To Continue Till May 3 But Restrictions Could Be Eased After April 20
Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced extension of lockdown till May 3 but hinted possible relaxations in areas that show restraint to the spread of COVID-19 after April 20. PM Modi took the decision of extension to extend lockdown after consulting chief ministers of 13 states through video conferencing on Saturday.
Highlights of PM Modi’s speech
• PM said that the country should ensure that new hotspots didn’t spring up. The lockdown measures will be enhanced at hotspot areas till April 20.
• Each district in each state will be closely monitored to check whether the lockdown is followed. The decision on relaxations will be determined on the results of lockdown.
• The PM said that easing difficulty of poor was his top priority.
• He said that the country had benefitted from lockdown and social distancing. Also, he admitted that the people had to pay a price.
• India didn’t wait for the crisis to aggravate and took early steps to contain the virus.
• He said that he was aware of the challenges the people faced during lockdown period.
• He said that people’s resolve to fight the pandemic was the true tribute to Baba Saheb Ambedkar.
He asked for seven things
- Take care of the vulnerable in the family
- Follow the lockdown rules and practice social distancing
- Follow guidelines by Ayush Ministry to boost immunity
- Download Arogya Setu app
- Show empathy towards employees
- Respect those at the frontline of the battle
- Help poor in arranging food and other necessities