Ukraine Asks For Help As Russia Shells Government And Residential Targets
As Russia mounted its attack on Ukraine, President Volodymyr Zelensky asks the US to help. Zelensky said that it was important to stop the aggressor at the earliest.
10 Latest Developments Of Russia-Ukraine War:
- Following Canada and other European countries, the US also closes its airspace for Russian airplanes.
- The World Bank announced a $3 billion aid package including $350 million in immediate funds for Ukraine.
- Russian defense minister urged Ukrainian residents to flee as their forces have started targeting administrative units and residential areas of major Ukrainian cities.
- A total of 18 people including a 21-year-old Indian student, Naveen Shekharappa, are killed in Russian shelling on Kharkiv, the second major city of Ukraine. Indian PM Modi offered his condolences to the deceased student.
- India will operate 26 flights from the neighboring countries of Romania, Hungary, Poland, and the Slovak Republic to bring back the stranded Indian students in Ukraine.
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky called US President Biden for help and asked the European Union to prove that it was accepting Ukraine as its member. Ukraine has just joined the European Union.
- The European Union removed certain Russian banks from the SWIFT bank messaging system. It also banned Russian media RT and Sputnik from broadcasting their programs in the European Union bloc.
- The UN International Court of Justice will hear Ukraine’s allegation of “genocide” by Russia on March 7 and 8. It will be a public hearing.
- The UN refugee agency said that the war had displaced over 677,000 people and more people were expected to flee the country.
- Russian players are barred from international tournaments including World Athletics, Davis Cup, and Billie Jean King Cup. Also, the Cannes Film Festival won’t invite the Russian delegation to the 2022 event in May.