World Bicycle Day 2022: Significance Of Cycling In the Modern World
The bicycle is one of the oldest means of transport and it continues to be in use despite the availability of motorcycles and electric bikes. The biggest reason behind the popularity of the bicycle is the simple design that allows it to use as a mode of transport and it exercises the whole body as well.
• June 3 is celebrated as World Bicycle Day since 2018
• UN adopted a resolution regarding World Bicycle Day at its 72nd Regular Session
• The objective of celebrating World Bicycle Day is to educate people about the advantages of cycling
• WHO also emphasizes the use of cycles to achieve recommended activity levels
Significance Of World Bicycle Day
World Bicycle Day highlights the presence of a simple machine that can be used both for exercising and transportation, especially for short distances. The biggest advantage of cycling is that it keeps people active while transporting them to places. Lack of physical activity among people is making them prone to chronic ailments including diabetes, hypertension, and cardio problems. The use of bicycles can save them from these problems and save the environment as well. Since bicycle needs no fuel, it produces no greenhouse gas or toxic waste.
History Of World Bicycle Day
The United Nations first adopted a resolution regarding celebrating June 3 as World Bicycle Day in April 2018 at its 72nd Regular Session in New York City. All 193 members present at the session adopted the resolution and vowed to encourage bicycles in their regional, international, and subnational development programs and policies.
World Bicycle Day is also celebrated to encourage physical activities, promote tolerance, and facilitate social inclusion through cycling. Also, this day is used to highlight the health hazards of leading an inactive lifestyle.
Also, encouraging the poorest section of the society to take to cycling for transportation can help save them the money they spend on short transportation and reduces cases of diabetes, hypertension, and heart disease.
Inspirational Quotes For World Bicycle Day
• “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.” -Ernest Hemingway
• “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike.” – John F. Kennedy
• “Life is like riding a bicycle. In order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.” – Albert Einstein
• “You are one ride away from a good mood.” – Sarah Bentley
• “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.” -Grant Petersen