Democratic Presidential Candidate Tulsi Gabbard Lost Her $50 Million Lawsuit Against Google
A federal judge dismissed the $50 million lawsuit filed by Representative Tulsi Gabbard against the tech giant Google. She is a Democratic presidential candidate.
Tulsi Gabbard’s accusation on Google
Google briefly suspended her advertising account last year be she took this action to be an infringement on her free speech and filed a lawsuit on the tech giant. But the judge, Stephen V. Wilson of the US District Court for the Central District California said that Gabbard campaign had failed to prove the accusation.
The judgement was in favour of Google
The judge said that the First Amendment clause that prohibited the government from curbing free speech applied to Google as a private company. He said that it wasn’t proved how Google’s regulation of its own platform was equivalent to a government regulation of an election. But Ms. Gabbard argued that Google assumed the traditional role of government by regulating political ads on its platform and therefore subject to the First Amendment.
On June 27 and 28 last year, Google suspended her advertising account for a period of six hours. But it followed by the first Democratic presidential debate by Ms. Gabbard. And she gave a strong performance that raised her profile. But the suspension of her Google account kept her debate out of reach of the people searching her name and she missed an opportunity to raise money and spread her message.