Liz Truss is leading in the race to become the next prime minister of the UK after Boris Johnson resigned from the top post in July following a slew of scandals and resignations from his government.
Here’re 10 Points About Liz Truss’ Candidature
- Liz Truss (47) will become the third female prime minister of England after Theresa May and Margaret Thatcher. She has consistently been ahead of her closest rival Rishi Sunak (42) in polling among the estimated 200,000 Tory members eligible to vote.
- But 52% said she would make a “poor” or “terrible” prime minister and 43% said they didn’t trust her “at all” to deal with burning issues. The UK is facing its worst cost-of-living crisis due to double-digit inflation and high energy prices due to the Ukraine war.
- Liz Truss had campaigned on a promise to slash taxes and prioritize economic growth. She said she would present a full plan on how they were going to reduce taxes within one month of taking the charge.
- Liz Truss started her political career as a teenage member of the Liberal Democrats before switching to the right-wing Conservatives. In 2016, she campaigned for the European Union but changed her stance when Britons backed Brexit.
- Truss became finance minister in the Boris Jonson government last year. She also held a series of ministerial posts in departments including education, international trade, and justice.
- A picture of Liz Truss posing in a tank in Estonia and wearing a fur hat in Moscow has earned her comparisons to Tory icon Thatcher.
- Allies have sought to soften her visibly stiff style by revealing her love of karaoke and socializing.
- Rishi Sunak attacked Truss’s tax-slashing plans as reckless and vowed further government support to help people pay their energy bills. He further said that curbing inflation would be his priority.
- Public showed support for an early general election in polls. Also, it is revealed that the Conservatives face a growing challenge to retain their 12-year grip on power.
- The next prime minister will be the 15th since the 96-year-old monarch took the throne.