Pro-CAA Group Clashes With Anti-CAA Protestors In Delhi
On Sunday, a pro-CAA group led by local BJP leader Kapil Mishra clashed with another group protesting against CAA in northeast Delhi’s Maujpur. But the situation was brought under control by the police.
Jaffrabad anti-CAA protest
A group of protestors were sitting on a road near Jaffrabad since Saturday and the process to disperse the protest were going on. On Sunday noon, Kapil Mishra came out with his supporters and asked police to disperse the anti-CAA protestors else he would hit the streets to disperse the crowd.
Anti-CAA protestors clashed with police
The group protesting against the CAA clashed with police when the latter tried to disperse the crowd. In the clash, a portion of a shop in the area was burnt; a police vehicle vandalized and police officers injured. Similar clashes took place in Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh.
Highlights of the news
- Protestors were seen stoning each other while standing close to police barricade in television footage.
- There were reports that police and para-military personnel used tear gas to disperse the crowd. But the police didn’t use force due to presence of women, old people and children.
- In Aligarh, clashes took between anti-CAA protestors and police when the protestors were denied permission to put up tent.
- Around 200 women demanding repeal of CAA staged a sit-in near Jaffrabad in Delhi and shouted slogans “Azaadi”.
- The protest at Jaffrabad is one of many mushrooming in the country after months long sit-in protest at Shaheen Bagh in Delhi.